Lake Como

History guide Tremezzo

Lake Como ABC

History guide Tremezzo

Tremezzo is located on the lake, at the foot of the Crocione mountain.

The village of Tremezzo has its origins in Roman times. In the Middle Ages it was part of the defense system of the island of Comacina and was therefore half destroyed by the inhabitants of Como during the Ten Years War (1118-1127).
In the 18th century it was a witness of the & ldquo; Tourism of the villas & rdquo; which resulted in the construction of majestic buildings, over which the Villa Carlotta towers.
The name Tremezzo goes back to its geographical location, because the village is halfway Way between Como and Colico.
Tremezzo is famous for the magical lake shore with its luxurious hotels, as well as for the well-known arcades under which many shops follow one another. Less known, but just as worth seeing, is the H & uuml; gelland with its numerous historical locations, each of which has its own artistic soul.

VILLA CARLOTTA  
The villa was built in the first half of the eighteenth century by the Marchese Clerici. Then it belonged to the Sommariva family and was later sold to Princess Marianna of Saxony, who gave it to daughter Carlotta for her wedding.
Famous all over the world for her wonderful park , rich in all kinds of plants and flowers, it houses various works of art inside, some of them by Antonio Canova and Francesco Hayez.

T. OLIVELLI PARK
The public park with a view of the lake has ancient buildings inside. It is also known as Park Meier, after the name of its last owner. One of the most original buildings is the octagonal structure, now used as a bar and & ldquo; Taroccheria & ldquo; called because it was built by four wealthy families of the place together to play tarot in the calm atmosphere of the lake.
The style of the park reflects the taste of the architect Lingeri and is particularly evident in the staircase, that connects the two parts of the park, as well as in the large ornate fountain, which is decorated with a complex of statues: a beautiful female figure with two large dolphins ridden by boys at her side.
In the upper part of the park there is Villa Meier, the tennis court with the two arbors on the sides and the dog kennel.

VILLA LA QUIETE
This elegant building from the early The 18th century, overlooking the Gulf of Saint Lawrence, belonged to the Serbelloni family, who hosted the poet Parini several times.
The Italian-style garden in front of the house, the wrought-iron gate and the elegant one are remarkable Design of the interior ml; ume.

VILLA CARLIA
This villa, built by Antonio De Carli in 1676 next to Villa La Quiete, is a valuable building with simple lines, which is located in an elegant park and can be reached via a long staircase.

CHURCH OF ST. LORENZO
This church of medieval origin became a parish church in 1637 and was completely rebuilt between the end of the nineteenth century and 1934.
It is a versatile grand building with multicolored design and both neo-Romanesque (octagonal apse) and neo-Gothic (the facade with pinnacles) elements. The interior was frescoed by the painter Luigi Tagliaferri, who painted all the paintings in the choir and the vaults. The side altars of the original ancient church have been preserved, as well as the chapel, which contains the old painting commissioned by Don Carlo I Mainoni with Our Lady with the Child and Saint Anthony of Padua, as well as the altarpiece, which represents the abbot Saint Anthony, Saint Rocco and Saint Sebastian.
Also noteworthy is the neo-Gothic altar of Our Lady of the Rosary with a baroque wooden statue.
On the church square is the monument to the fallen, created by the sculptor Alberti, which represents immortality and was unveiled on May 25, 1924.

ROGARO
Rogaro is a particularly impressive old colonial village with houses from the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, which were built around the Marienkirche (6). This beautiful baroque building, built in 1733, houses an ancient statue made of linden wood of the Black Mother of God of Einsiedeln, the work of a Swiss sculptor who was brought to the lake by local traders. On the hill near the suburb there is an ancient tower of construction that belonged to the Visconti family and was part of the defense system of Comacina Island in the past. The influential family and Monsignor Francesco Tavani, Bishop of Mindo, competed for this building for a long time.

BALOGNO, VOLESIO, VIANO
These peasant villages with an ancient atmosphere ; re are a labyrinth of cobblestone streets, stairs, arched underpasses, between which stately houses from the end of the seventeenth century stand out.
The building with a Sixteenth-century coat of arms opposite the Church of Saints Peter and Paul (8), the link between Balogno and Volesio.
The oratory is of Romanesque origin and was finished in 1732. Another small church is Saint Rocco (9) in Viano, built in 1690 by the inhabitants of the district. The keys to the church were entrusted to the influential Forni family. The Triulzi spinning mill (10), which was built towards the middle of the nineteenth century and was located in the impressive building on the mountainside, was once located in this district.

LA CATAPECCHIA
On the hill by the lake promenade of Tremezzo, this romantic castle was built at the end of the nineteenth century at the request of the Bishop of Mindo, a well-educated man who came to Lake Como for health reasons . He already owned a villa that was adjacent to the Visconti family's estates and he later bought new plots on which to build La Catapecchia.
The red building has an eclectic neo-Gothic style , with brick decorations, Arab-style double lancet windows, and porthole windows. Francesco Tavani died in this fairy tale house in 1905.

GRAND HOTEL TREMEZZO
Reached in 1910, this hotel is one of the most magnificent hotels on the lake. It is a building
with four pieces in Art Nouveau style, with furnishings, pictures and ornaments from that time. The 3000 m² wonderful park surrounding the hotel is rich in rare exotic plants and works of art. One of the special features of this charming hotel is the recently built swimming pool on the water of the lake in front of the Bellagio rocky promontory.





Our recommendations for your Italy vacation

The most popular accommodations

The right accommodation for your Italy vacation

Agriturismo Hotel B&B in Sorico / 2 Persons

Lake Como, Lombardy (Agriturismo Giacomino Typ 1)

Customer rating

Price per week from 700 €

Hotel in Gravedona / 4 Persons

Lake Como, Lombardy (Hotel Tullio)

Price per week from 1169 €

Apartment in Bellagio / 6 Persons

Lake Como, Lombardy (Casa Sogno)

Price per week from 1722 €

News

Quick response

Comer See ABC
07.06.2020 - Questions about one of our offers, booking or the equipment of a holiday accommodation? We would be happy to help you. [more]

Summer timetables for ships and buses 2026

Comer See ABC
25.06.2026 - The summer timetables for the 2026 season for ships and buses are now available. [more]

Bridge days 2026: Here's how it works

Comer See ABC
04.01.2026 - 2026: Double your vacation time – here's how! [more]

Taxi Lake Como

Comer See ABC
10.08.2025 - Here you will find a list of taxi companies on Lake Como and their telephone numbers. [more]

Gotthard and San Bernardino Tunnel and Splugenpass

Comer See ABC
13.06.2025 - Current situation Gotthard and San Bernardino tunnels and Splugenpass. [more]

Climbing park - Adventure Park Lake Como

Comer See ABC
01.04.2024 - The climbing park opens again. [more]

Timetables overview

Comer See ABC
02.05.2022 - All the timetables of the Lake Como region. [more]

Lake Como bathing GOOD

Comer See ABC
20.01.2022 - Report in the newspaper La Provincia di Como confirms the improved water quality on Lake Como. [more]